Wednesday, March 21

Driving Lessons

I passed my first two tests towards getting a GCC driving license three days ago. The tests were about backing up the car - using reverse, that is - and trying to maneuver it on several drums. I also did the slope test - one in which you first will be kept hanging on a slope and check whether you will not back an inch when you start climbing the slope again. It was fun, and even though sad to say, a very different way to get a license from what I experienced in the Philippines. Before the tests, I was doing some practice lessons for the past 1 and 1/2 weeks. I had been driving for the last 16 or 17 years or so already, but my friends here told me that it will be better for me to have some refreshers before going to the actual tests. My trainor, a local man named Khalifa, is a very good tutor and a funny man as well. I had spent some quality hours with him familiarising road and traffic rules as well as the important drum and slope techniques. Well, what can I say? The man really helped and it showed by my passing the first two tests...

Right now, I am still doing some practice lessons with Khalifa. We are now roaming around three times a week for one hour each, Khalifa teaching me all the right parking spaces, one way streets, entrance and exit roads... it will be necessary for the last and the most important test - the road test. Hopefully in the next two weeks I could take that test and pass it as well... and then finally get my GCC driving license.

No comments:

Post a Comment