Sunday, October 14

On PressCon and Writing

River had good news to us the other day. He said that he won in the Division Schools Press Conference (for elementary students), although he only got the 9th place. It was in the editorial writing category. He's actually kind of sad getting only 9th place, but Alice told him that it's alright, and that it was only his first venture in the journalism area, and that still has next year to improve on his skills in writing. She said further that it was indeed an accomplishment on his part, because he was not prepared - there was no formal training and coaching before the contest unlike in other schools - and even so, he still managed to be included in the top ten.

It was indeed an achievement for River. The division press conference is quite difficult to hurdle inasmuch as all the best writers in the province are there, competing with each other. And with no formal training in his school on the category in which he competed, that means the kid really knows how to write and got what it takes to compete in this field. Maybe it's the product of those years of reading anything he lays his eyes on. River you knnow, is a voracious reader.

While looking at the mother and the son chatting away about writing and press conferences, I cannot help but remember my childhood experiences in these areas. I was a writer too, having nurtured by my mother in this field at an early age. I actually started in press conferences in much the same age as River, and had been editor-in-chief of my schools' official papers from the elementary until college. I had been to various press conferences, in different levels, and I guess I really developed my skills by competing with the best students in this area. I believe that most probably just like me, River will hone his skills slowly but surely, until it comes to that point when he'll be there competing with the best of them. You know, just like me, River likes to read a lot, and I think that's one of the most important characteristics you need if you want to become a good writer. It reminds me of the time when I was still in high school competing and besting all of them in the regional and national levels. I usually rely on phrases and words I read, and remembering the writing styles of the authors of the articles I often read. I know River could go on much the same way. I can sense in him the interest and passion in this area which I felt when I was his age. While at it, I came to realize that the only difference between me and him in this field is that River likes to write editorials and features, while I wanted to be a good copyreader and sportswriter then.

Anyway, we finally put up a plan to further hone River's skills, and it is that he should continue writing manuscripts in his chosen areas, send his writings to me for comments, and then improve them throuogh my guidance and write more. This is again a time when you appreciate the developments in technology since it will not be a problem for us to do that, because we have emails and chats nowadays, and sharing and transfer of files is as easy as browsing the Web. River is sad that this year, he won't be able to compete in the regional level since only the best seven will be sent by the division. I told him that it will be an opportunity for him to practice more and learn more... and to become a better writer for next year. He liked the idea. He's really looking forward to participate in a higher level next year, and he's ready to do what it takes to get there.