Wednesday, October 10

Today I Realized...

That Filipinos can also compete with other nationalities in the area of education and training, and that Filipinos far from their homeland really become brothers and support each other during times of trial for one. This is a very different scenario from what I usually see and experience in the Philippines, where in every possible opportunity, other Filipinos will take cheap shots and backstab their colleague/s so that he/she will not be able to prosper.

Today I also realized that given the opportunity and the chance, Filipinos like me will do what it takes to excel in his field and help his organization realize his vision in his own humble way...

I got exactly that today. The chance to do a presentation about a strategic plan that I drafted two days ago for the educational technology center of an institution. This is in relation to my development plan for the said center. There are several development presentations given, and each one proved to be unique in itself. I happen to be the last presenter which enabled me to observe the various presentations and analyze their strengths and weaknesses. Applicants are varied, and that means they come from different nationalities and different academic background and industry experiences.

I do believe that based on the plans presented, my plans for the various action programs for the Center could compete with the best of them. Of course, it will sound bias since I am the one assessing everything, but objective as I can be, it really dawned on me that Filipinos could really do it, that is, we can really compete in the international stage provided we work diligently and devote serious time to our work. I know that more than 10% of Filipinos work abroad. But most of us work as ordinary employees. Some probably get lucky and are appointed in various administrative positions, but then, what I'm saying is, Filipinos outside of their native lands, really work their butts out and compete. And if they just put more efforts and more commitment to it, better positions can be there for the picking for them.

As I realized today, Filipinos are really one gifted people... the problem is, we tend to show these gifts to us when we are far away from our land. In the Philippines, we're contented on just being dead woods and always show our crab mentality... of course, not all of us are like that there... but then, those ones that are not are the rare ones... the exceptions, rather than the rule...I wonder, why is it so?