Tuesday, December 25

Christmas

Celebrating Christmas in this country is really quite unique and different. Having been raised in a country where Christmas starts as early as four months before the actual day of the nativity of the Lord and having been used to "elaborate" celebrations the kind of which the actual Christmas feast lasts for several days, being in a country where the Christmas season is usually celebrated in the background becomes really challenging. Yesterday, the group spent most of the day normally, that is, it was taken as a normal working day and everybody went through his/her own usual work routine - writing programs, designing websites, developing online courses, etc. After the work hours passed, Alice and I went home and spent the afternoon listening to some Christmas carols. At least it can prep us to really get into the spirit of the season.

I haven't listened to our collection of Christmas songs for quite a while. I remember the last time I listened to them was way back in September when I had one of those sound trips that I do from time to time, just to while away time when there's not much to do. Listening to those songs again a day before Christmas gave new meaning to the word "homesick" for me. I remembered the kids and the other members of our family, and I thought of the things I and Alice may and could have done with them during those frantic hours a day before Christmas in the Philippines. I had a mix of emotions - sadness, happiness, hopefulness - and it made me want to cry. Anyways, listening to those songs at least made me feel Christmas as I feel it when in the company of my family even for quite a while. That's good enough for me at the moment.

After a while, I called the kids. They told me they have just started congregating in their Mima's house, and is about to start the traditional "Bingo" game until midnight comes, when they share the customary "Noche Buena" and exchange gifts with one another. My little girl Rain intimated that they are preparing noodle soups, burgers, some hotdogs with marshmallows, and other delicacies for Noche Buena, and that she had taken several bites of the hotdogs already. I told her to just enjoy the night with her brothers there and that I'll call again on Christmas day. We ended the call by saying "Merry Christmas" to each other.

After sometime, some of our friends called us. They said they're already going to one of our friends house, where the group's Christmas party will be held for the night. I told them we're also ready to go there, and since the house is just near our flat, we just walked there, feeling the biting cold that signifies winter, and the Christmas season is really here. Sometimes it's nice to just walk into the cold and feel that the holiday season is upon you and you're trying to celebrate it in the humble way you can. We spent the next several hours mingling and socializing with our small group of friends and celebrating Christmas in our own little way here in the Gulf.

Our celebration ended just several minutes after midnight. After greeting each other Merry Christmas, we went into our different ways once again, with some of us still trying to break into the crowded telecommunication lines calling their loved ones back home even though it's already early morning there. The longing especially at this time of year just wouldn't let up for some of us. After parting with each other, I felt like it's back to our own routine lives and to our own melancholic emotions once more.

Although today is a holiday, Alice and I still reported for work for a few hours inasmuch as there are some pressing works and assignments for both of us that need to be completed. Having done this sort of thing for two years - two Christmases - already, we really don't mind these anymore, and went to do our normal routines for the day. While riding the bus to work, Alice called the kids. They said they're already in her mother's house celebrating Christmas with their aunts and uncles, and with their cousins there. And so we arrived at work happily knowing that the kids are celebrating Christmas back home.

In the afternoon before going home, I called the kids again. They're already at home playing with their cousins there, and trying all the toys they received from relatives and friends. I found out that Ash, our youngest son, wanted to buy a pet hamster, having seen one in his cousin's house. I told him if he buys one he should take care of it properly, in which he promptly said yes. I could sense the excitement in his voice already. After that I greeted them Merry Christmas once again, promising them I'll call again as soon as I can. Maybe it's because of the holiday season...or maybe also because of the fact that they're on vacation and not busy doing their chores in school, but the kids want us to call them more this time. The least we can do is to give them their wishes.

After coming home from work, Alice and I took the chance of recovering from the missed hours of sleep from last night's party. After napping for a few hours, we spent time watching TV while the last hours of Christmas Day tick. Tomorrow, we'll do our usual routine again, just like today. Any which way...

Merry Christmas!