Wednesday, December 19

"in pursuit of happyness"

I borrowed this movie from a friend, not knowing really what this movie is all about at first. When I had the chance to watch it on a night when there's not much to do, I got some valuable life lessons that will stay with me for a long time...

The movie "In Pursuit of Happyness", is the story of Chris Gardner, a struggling salesman with a 5-year old son. Like most of us, the movie portrays the difficulties one has to go through when we're just initially starting a family and only having a "common", average job. The life of Chris Gardner is a portrayal of the triumph of the spirit, that is, against all odds and armed only with commitment and dedication, one can realize his dreams only if he won't lose focus and continue to sacrifice and persevere to attain it.

I haven't read the book from which the movie was based, nor I know the story of Chris Gardner prior to my watching the said movie. But after watching Will Smith and his son Jaden in the movie, I feel like I could relate to their story somehow. I don't know. Maybe because their story is such that it's actually the same story most of us currently have. Maybe somehow, this story is also the story or our lives as we live them right now.

One important lesson this movie taught me is to love your kids. And don't let anyone take them away from you even in difficult times. It's sad that I could not do that. Like millions of other Filipino parents, I am separated with my kids right now. That's the sacrifice 10% of the Filipino parents have to go through. It's part of our diaspora. And although sad, it's a fact of our life. I just try to make up for it by constantly communicating with them and trying to let them feel I am not away in any way I can.

Gardner's story is an inspiration. Every one of us is in one way or another, experiencing struggles in life. And like Chris, we have to learn to face them all. We have to stay focused and committed to our goals, and move towards realizing them everyday, every minute that we can. We shouldn't lose any given opportunity.

As this movie tells us, if we persevere, if we try hard, if we dream long enough, our pursuit of happiness will eventually be rewarded.