Sunday, December 23

cormac mccarthy and the holiday season

The holiday season is always a respite. Well, at least even for just a little while, we can relax a little and savor the good things life has to offer. Anyways, I'm grateful that during the first few days of the break I've finished several books already. I guess I really had to do it since I feel that I'm really lagging in my reading and I had to seize this opportunity and try to read all the books that I bought several weeks, months even, before.

I'm fortunate that I already discovered the works of Paulo Coelho. I made mention about it in a review I wrote several days ago. I got more fortunate after reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". I've heard of McCarthy first in "Oprah" when I was keeping Alice company one night watching the show. Oprah is recommending the book that time and showing her short interview of the author. I decided I'll buy the book and try it, but after buying, it just stayed in my drawer for weeks, and I was not able to even scan it. Well, I guess the timing was just bad, that when I bought it it coincided with just too many works in the office.

Anyways, after reading it two days ago, I would have to say it really was a piece of work and worthy of the award(s) it received. McCarthy's technique of narrating it thru prose-like literature is really successful, as well as his description of the end of the world viewing it thru the "real" humanity of man - the good and evil that reside within him.

In its deeper context, "The Road" does not only tells about the story of the bond between a father and his son. More importantly, it narrates about the humanity of man. Such that even in despair and difficulties, there exists in him the instinct to help, and in hopeless situations there is always the love he has for his family.

As I stayed awake the whole night reading McCarthy's book, it dawned on me that the story is real, and it's happening to all of us. There are lessons that can be learned from this book. You have to read it.